Binaural audio is also known as 3D audio and it's intended for Headphone listening!
It is an obsession of mine, (and soon to be yours I hope!) so here you'll find links to various articles explaining what it is, and content (besides my own) which I find interesting.
Click on the pictures for links to two pieces of mine that use binaural audio (and don't forget your headphones!): 'A day in the lifecycle' and 'Amplify Beach'. If you like those, check out, 'Billboards Everywhere'.
Remember, that binaural does not sound super-produced, in order to preserve that natural-feel. You're in control! Use your volume knobs!
- Musique Concrete on wikipedia
- Surrounded by sound: how 3D audio hacks your brain
- Binaural on wikipedia
- 3Dio (my weapon of choice! Unashamedly recommended)
- Roland CS-10EM (budget favourite)
- Hooke Audio (in-ear microphones. Have not tested them yet as they're not available in Europe. I reserve judgement until I've tried them)
- Almost Tangible (Macbeth in beautiful binaural! You will love it! Catch it before these guys start charging!)
- The Owl Field (some quality binaural productions here! Try out their free podcast 'Escape Room')